Across the state of Texas, October is known as Texas Wine Month, a 31-day-long celebration of Texas wines and the Texas Wine Industry. Texas is the fifth- largest wine-producing state in the nation with more than 400 wineries and over 5,000 acres of producing vineyard farmland. Grapevine, a trendsetter in wine culture and a leader in the wine industry, is home to the Texas Wine and Grape Growers Association as well as seven winery tasting rooms and award winning, wine-centric festivals and events. Wine enthusiasts are invited to celebrate Texas Wine Month in Historic Grapevine, which kicks off with the 38th Annual Lone Star International Wine Competition, and the Nash Farm Harvest Moon Supper featuring Bull Lion Ranch and Vineyard wines. Additional wine activities include the Urban Wine Trail, the “Witch Way to the Wine” tour, Grapevine Wine Tours and more.
38th ANNUAL LONE STAR INTERNATIONAL WINE COMPETITION
The 38th Annual Lone Star International Wine Competition, hosted by the Texas Wine and Grape Growers Association, is open to wines from all over the world. As the oldest International Wine Competition in Texas, judging is vis-a-vis a double-blind procedure by esteemed national and state experts with extensive
wine credentials. There will be 115 unique wineries from Mexico, Texas, California, Louisiana, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington State participating in the competition. This exclusive event will be held in the Tower Gallery at 636 S. Main St. on Wednesday, October 6 and Thursday, October 7. Wines are judged in four categories: Texas, International, Limited Production and Label artwork. Results will be posted on Thursday, October 7 at https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/event/lone-star-international-wine- competition/31458/
NASH FARM HARVEST MOON SUPPER
Experience farm-fresh flavors of fall and kick off Texas wine month with wines from Bull Lion Ranch and Vineyard at the Nash Farm Harvest Moon Supper on Thursday, October 7 at 6:30 p.m. Celebrate fall with curated wine pairings that complement the 19th century-inspired farm menu. The Lone Star String Band will serenade guests as they dine at tables across the Farm’s meadow. The Harvest Moon menu will include flavors of fall with many selections having been grown or produced on the Nash Farm. Living history culinary vignettes throughout the farmstead allow attendees to experience 19th century dishes. Culinary historians will be on hand to discuss historic food preparations. Nash Farm’s Harvest Moon Supper is presented by MGS Sunset Holdings, LLC, and supported by Nash Farm Mission Partners – National Bank of Texas and Wright Construction Company. Tickets are $75 per person. For more information, visit NashFarm.org.
HISTORIC GRAPEVINE’S URBAN WINE TRAIL OPEN ALL SEASON LONG
Celebrate fall with a stroll along Historic Main Street and experience Grapevine’s vibrant Urban Wine Trail. Seven wine tasting rooms along the Urban Wine Trail offer daily wine tastings and special events throughout the year. From strong and bold Texas red wines to crisp and clean Texas white wines, you will find a variety of favorite taste sensations.
Participating Grapevine Winery Tasting Rooms Include:
- Bingham Family Vineyards (620 S. Main St.)
- Bull Lion Ranch & Vineyard (530 S. Main St.)
- Cross Timbers Winery (805 N. Main St.)
- Grape Vine Springs Winery (409 S. Main St.)
- Landon Winery ( 415 S. Main St.)
- Messina Hof Grapevine Winery (201 S. Main St.)
- Sloan & Williams Winery (401 S. Main St.)
OTHER WINE EVENTS AROUND TOWN
- Grapevine Wine Tours: Looking for a fun and tasty way to spend your afternoon or evening in Grapevine? Board the Grapevine Wine Tours shuttle for a wine-tasting experience you won’t soon forget! Explore Texas wines and Texas wineries with a professional Tour Director, who will introduce you to outstanding wines, food and hospitality. Visit https://www.grapevinewinetours.com/ or call 817.259.9463 for more information.
- Bingham Family Vineyard’s Grapevine Tasting Room will be conducting Halloween candy wine pairings every day throughout October. Grapevine offers seasonal wine trails and wine events throughout the year. On Saturday, October 30, enjoy a leisurely stroll to multiple wine tasting rooms in and around Historic Downtown Grapevine on the “Witch Way to the Wine” tour, presented by Grape Vine Springs Winery. Three wine tastings and food pairings will be offered at each participating winery. This event takes place rain or shine. The trail runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Visit https://grapevinewinerytrail.com/ to learn more.
- Just in time for Halloween, sign up for the Grapevine Night Watchman Ghost Tour, also presented by Grape Vine Springs Winery. Find out which winery is haunted, who robbed a Main Street bank in 1932, and more Grapevine history on this 90-minute walking tour. Finish your tour with a glass of wine at Grape Vine Springs Winery. Visit https://www.grapevinespringswinery.com/ or call 817.329.1011 to learn more.
- Perry’s Steakhouse & Grill invites you to savor Alexander Valley Vineyard’s CYRUS® red blend, International Wine Grand Champion at the 2021 Rodeo Uncorked and winner of 4th Best in Show at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. They are offering by-glass-pricing on one of America’s most celebrated Bordeaux-style wines. CYRUS boasts a smooth texture, excellent balance and a long- structured finish.
GRAPEVINE WINE-CENTRIC SHOPPING, FALL FLAVORS AND ACTIVITES
Boutique shops along Historic Grapevine’s Main Street offer wine-centric flavors and events. Visit Off the Vine (324 S. Main St.) to shop wine accessories, gifts and more. Chocolate Moonshine (520 S. Main St. #207) offers hand-painted Belgian chocolate with decadent flavors, including Cabernet Sauvignon-filled chocolates, French Champagne-filled chocolates and more. Vetro Glassblowing Studio (701 S. Main St.) invites you to make your own stemless wine glass.
WHERE TO STAY
Book your fall getaway and save as area hotels and resorts are offering various Texas Wine Month and seasonal packages and promotions. Enjoy a range of lodging options, including resort-style, boutique and budget-friendly hotels. With more than 20 lodging options to choose from, there is a place for every type of vacation experience and every budget. Visit https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/hotels/deals-and- packages/ for details.
GRAPEFEST – A TEXAS WINE EXPERIENCE
GrapeFest, which coincides with the start of the grape harvest, is a 35-year-old celebration of Texas wine. The most popular event of the festival, the People’s Choice Wine Tasting Classic, is the largest consumer-judged wine competition in the nation. Here, guests may savor more than 100 Texas wines from more than 30 Texas wineries and vote for their favorite wine across ten categories. Winners were announced on Sunday, September 19. Results may be found at www.grapevinetexasusa.com/taste-of- two-valleys-wines-2021/. Guests of GrapeFest also had the opportunity to sample featured wines from South Australia’s Barossa Valley and California’s Napa Valley during the Taste of Two Valleys Liberty Park Plaza Wine Experience. In 2022 the 36th Annual GrapeFest will take place September 15,16,17 and 18. For more information, visit GrapevineTexasUSA.com or call the Grapevine Convention & Visitors Bureau at 817-410-3185.
ABOUT GRAPEVINE, TEXAS
Historic Grapevine, Texas, centrally located between Fort Worth and Dallas, is the premier go-to
destination when planning a getaway or vacation in North Texas. Step back in time on Historic Downtown Main Street with a collection of charming boutiques, art galleries and bistros and cafes. Enjoy fantastic hotels and resorts, great attractions for the entire family, a wide variety of outdoor recreational activities, exquisite winery tasting rooms, world-class shopping and much more. For more information, visit GrapevineTexasUSA.com.